Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Facebook Finds

I'm in a lot of card groups on Facebook, but I rarely make any purchases. I'm not sure why because there is always something interesting for sale, I just don't do it often. This month I actually made two purchases and thought I would write about them. Both were on the NASCAR card forum I am a member/moderator of, although the first one was actually a purchase of basketball cards.

One member posted that he had some basketball he wanted to trade for NASCAR. It turned out I didn't have anything he wanted, so I just bought the cards I wanted from him.
This unlicensed oddball is a highlight. It was part of an 18 card set that included some college cards. They also did a multi-sport set. I had never seen it before. Although it didn't scan that way, the border is gold foil.
 I don't have a lot of cards from the time period of 2006-07 through 2010-11, and I got three singles from the 09-10 season. This is actually my first base card from 09-10 Certified, although I did have an insert from the set previously.
 I have a few more cards from 09-10 Classics, but less than 10. There was also a Russell Westbrook card from 09-10 Threads but I didn't scan it as it was already done on the Database. I got it mixed in with all the other cards I've set aside to scan later and didn't want to go looking for it after I decided to make this post, more than a week after the cards arrived.
 Scott Skiles on-card auto from 2013-14 Timeless Treasures, SN299. It's my second autograph of him. Not a huge fan of Skiles but for the price I paid I won't turn down any NBA autographs.
My first auto of Campy Russell, also from 2013-14 Timeless Treasures. I think this may be my favorite card from the purchase, even though it's not serially numbered or a base card.

Just a few days later, I commented in a thread someone started that was "What project are you working on right now" and I posted about my project of trying to get one card of every person to get one in my three sports. One of the members had several cards I needed so I ended up buying them. I have done one blaster of Select and Torque this year and that's probably going to be it- not that I don't like them, but that's just how it is.







That's 8 new people, half of them autographed at that! It brought my missing NASCAR people list down to 25. Pretty cool, all things considered.

In fact, one of the people saw me get card #1 and #2 in the same package...

The Blue Prizm parallel from Select is serially numbered, as is the Red, White & Blue parallel shown of Jones.

Alon Day is the first NASCAR driver from Israel. He's the only one of the 8 who have run in Cup so far, I think. I have to admit that I don't pay as close attention as I used to. Back in the day...even just a few years ago...I would have known for sure, and what car they drove, and possibly even where they finished...but I'm losing that stuff as my interest in the sport is waning, wholly due to the changes they have made to the actual fabric of the sport. Even so, I still plan to collect the cards- I bailed on the NBA in 2006 when I was not very happy and I now consider it to be one of the biggest mistakes- if not THE biggest- I've ever made, so I will keep collecting and watching NASCAR even if I don't like it very much- I don't want to make that mistake again.
And in case you are wondering, Brandon Jones is actually 20 years old.

I'm glad to see some of the K&N drivers - Busch North and Winston West to me- getting some cardboard. It's pretty rare to see them on cards, but Panini is including them in some of the autograph sets. That makes it a little harder to collect them- the cards are rarer, and autographs are more expensive than base cards- but at least they are getting them. There have been literally decades where they didn't get any recognition at all. Julia Landauer and Spencer Davis have never gone higher than the K&N series, although both hope to some day.

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. A couple of card shows back, I found a Larry Bird from that sports/educational set in a dime box. I thought it was pretty neat, and figured it was just a one off "broder" type card, it's nice to know now that it is part of a set.

    And that Campy Russell auto is really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! This MJ cost me a dollar so a dime Bird is a good find for sure. I might try and find the rest of the NBA set at some point.

      Delete
  2. "And in case you are wondering, Brandon Jones is actually 20 years old." I was wondering that, yes. Some of the others look young too, but Jones looks about 14 compared to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even going to think about the fact that I had already been in the hobby 9 years when he was born!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not too common I find an entire brand I've never heard of anymore, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  4. I made my first purchase on Twitter the other day. Found a few sellers who specialize in lower end relics and autos. Hit a few Pirates and WVU guys.

    Scott Skiles! Makes me think of NBA Jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not made any Twitter purchases yet, it locks up my computer. But I have seen some great stuff show up that was purchased on there

      Delete