Thursday, November 30, 2017

Begun, the NHL duplicate box has

I wasn't planning to write a post tonight, (still on a high from yesterday's card pull) but this is sort of important. I've officially started my NHL duplicate box today. Since I began collecting them, I've been shuffling the duplicates around in boxes mixed with other cards, or small boxes- I've outgrown three of them already. I prefer to store my duplicates in Avon boxes- which I can't get anymore. My mom used to be in Avon specifically to get these boxes. When they discontinued using them, she stopped doing Avon. These are the boxes I prefer to use for my duplicate cards. My NBA duplicate stash takes up 8 of them...NASCAR one...a mixture of everything else in another. Now, the NHL officially has one.
I'm not ready to put up a tradelist or move any of these yet, but I want to remember this date. I have no idea when I began using them for the NBA, but it was probably around the year 2000. I planned to start putting the cards in the box on the exact 1 year anniversary of watching the sport, but I didn't get to it until now. The oldest card in the box is from 1979-80, the newest 2017-18, as can be seen on the bottom right. Since some of the cards I was given in 2015 are not in the greatest shape, I don't want to trade any of the cards I've gotten now until I am sure they are not upgrades. Not sure when I will get to that. Eventually, when I am sure, the undamaged cards will either be listed on my tradelist here, or sent to COMC.

One of my planned things to do in the future is totally sort my NBA boxes- I have not been through them in years, other than the one I have been working on for a while. Most I have not seen inside of since 2003 or so. I've posted about them a little bit already. Since there are 8 of them, that's a lot of cards to sort. I have no idea how many cards each box holds. I think it's about 2000, but that's a totally wild guess. Maybe if I remember I will count the contents of one of them someday.

Here's the one I've been working on for a couple of years now- it's got most of the duplicates I've gotten since I got back into the NBA, minus the ones I've sent to other collectors, COMC or put on my tradelist on the Trading Card Database.
I had forgotten that I should store the cards the other way in the box, not remembering until I looked in the boxes in my storage unit. At some point I'll rotate these. I should have done it today as I had all the cards out of it trying to find one I promised in a trade on the Database but I was pretty flustered so it never occurred to me. If you look on the bottom left you'll see the damaged Juwan Howard card I posted about earlier this month.

4 comments:

  1. I have gotten lazy last couple of years. All of my doubles just get tossed into boxes and not seperate by Sport anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. No duplicate Gretzky 1/2 dupes yet? Just checking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far. Junk wax hockey forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys. Picture would have been a lot more impressive if I had remembered to put everything in it! I'm sure I'll post an updated photo at some point.

    ReplyDelete