Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Going offline for a few days...for Star Wars!

I'm not going to be around for a few days. With Star Wars: The Force Awakens releasing on the 18th, I don't want to get any spoilers, so I'm going totally offline. No Facebook. No Blogs. No Database. I've done it before- the last few times my computers died (I'm on #3) I did it. I went without the computer for almost 2 weeks the last time. Not to mention, of course, all the time before spring of the year 2000, when we got our first computer!
Journey to the Force Awakens Black #110

I will put the time to good use, though. Not only do I plan to keep on scanning, I am going to work on a typing project I've been putting off since I thought of it about 2 weeks ago. I am going to figure out, or at least try to, exactly how many people are in my collection. I've got the NBA and NASCAR collections pretty well documented, but I do not have, in any form, lists of how many people I have in my baseball, hockey, football, non-sports, and other sports collections. I expect, with all the sports and non-sports combined, I will be approaching 10,000 different people in my collection. My NBA collection alone is over 2600 different people, NASCAR is over 1000. My friend gave me almost 3000 different hockey cards, plus my MLB and NFL collections are both over 500 cards...plus the non-sports, where most people have only one or two cards at best in my collection. Then you have the Olympics and the other forms of auto racing. Not to mention college basketball and multi-sport sets. It really does add up. Like I say above, I expect the total number of people to be in the 5000-10000 range, with a rough guess at in the 8000s. But, I am notoriously bad at estimating things, so who knows? Hopefully, when I return to the net after I see the movie, I will!

It's a lot of work, but it means I get to spend time with my cards, so I will enjoy it.





This was the line waiting to get into the Phantom Menace in 1999, at the Poughkeepsie Gallaria, or I should say, a portion of it!

I won't go to opening day of movies anymore. Been there, done that...for all three prequals. No desire to do that again. So it'll be a few days before I go see it...but I will be back posting in time for Christmas.

Also, that means there will be no Hot Off the Scanner Tray this week as it will fall under my self-imposed exile. I will still be scanning, so the next week's post will probably be a big one!

I just know I can't trust the internet not to spoil the movie. If Kylo Ren turns out to be two Ewoks standing on each other's shoulders, I don't want to know about it until I see the movie, you know what I mean? :) I know it debuts internationally on the 16th, so when I go offline tonight...I won't be coming back tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. My luck I would disconnect from social media to avoid spoilers but would over hear my neighbors talking about it.

    ReplyDelete