Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

Just text today- no photos.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I will make the prerequisite giving thanks post.

First off, I am thankful to be alive. In April 2013, I came about 5 minutes - literally- away from dying. Turns out I have diabetes, and didn't know it. It turned into Keto Acidosis. Learning to treat it has been a whole new experience, and not without some significant frustration, but I know that if I keep at it, it will not kill me. I have two relatives in their 80s who have had it for decades, and they are just fine, because they treat it, and don't say "Close enough". They are a big inspiration to me.

I'm thankful for my Mom and Brother. I don't know what I would do without them. It's been a rough year for my mom in particular.

I'm thankful for my hobby. Hobbies, I have many, but cards, the subject of this blog, is my favorite. When I am in pain, or when I am worried, focusing on my cards gets my mind off it. I live in pain 24/7, by the way. I am sometimes able to be distracted from it for a short time, but it's always there, underlying everything else. My health is not all that great, as if you couldn't tell.
After I lost my dad in 2002, I attempted to drown my sorrows in a sea of cards, and in 2014, as I worried about my mom being in the hospital for so long, I concentrated on scanning those very same cards to keep my mind from worrying too much. Or at least, attempting to- to varying degrees of success.

On a more fun topic,

I am thankful for The Trading Card Database. Focusing on getting my cards scanned and posted has been a big help, and it's a lot of fun, to boot. I also love the fact that they tell you automatically how many cards you have and the percentage for each set. Information I always wondered about but didn't have the wherewithal to figure out myself. I am currently entering in my tradelist, hopefully I will be able to convert some of my duplicates into cards I need.

I am thankful for each and every card I get. I don't get as many as I used to, or as I'd like to, (I don't want to sound greedy, but to be honest, I am addicted to cards!) but I love to get new ones, regardless of who it is or what set it is. Every card has a place in my collection.

I am thankful to get any of the cards I get. I know there are a lot of people who can't collect but would like to, and sometimes I can't either, as I have to spend more than $500 a month on medicine, it sometimes leaves me nothing for cards...medicine has to come first. So I am thankful for the opportunity to collect. I know there is a lot more important things in life than collecting cards, but it keeps me sane, LOL.

As always, thanks for reading, and please enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment