Wednesday, November 2, 2016

October 2016 Trade Recap

I have not been doing much trading lately. In fact, I only did one in the month of October but I received a couple of gifts from fellow bloggers/collectors that I wanted to cover, and since I plan to gift them back at some point, it's close enough for me to post it here.

I normally like to get my trade recaps posted on the last day of each month, but I have not been feeling too good and wasn't able to get it done for then.

On that note, all pictures instead of scans today.. hope to be back to scans next time. 

The only actual trade I made was with Tyler of Rekindling the Cardboard Flame. He sent me a complete set, but I am not going to show it now. It is of the base cards for the 1996-97 Collector's Choice Super Action Stick-Ums Series 2 cards, but since I had some already, I didn't open the package they came in. Normally I know what is new or not, due to my detailed (read: OCD) record keeping, but when you consider that both series look almost exactly alike, I had no idea if the ones I had were series 1 or series 2. To not throw off my collection number (any more than it surely is) I just kept them sealed, until I find the ones I had already and can cross check them and see which are new.

He did trade me two sealed Racing Champions cars, though, making the first time I've gotten any of them in trade on the Trading Card Database!
 I think the Jeff Gordon car is a duplicate- but we are less than a week away from them being in my posession for a month and I have not checked yet. That whole not feeling good thing...even if it is, I don't mind, because it's probably a conditional upgrade. If it does turn out to be a duplicate I may hang it on my wall at some point...I have not added a new car to the wall display since probably 2007.
The Mark Martin car is definitely new. I don't know if I didn't see them or just didn't get them but I don't have too many High Octane cars. These were a midseason replacement for Stock Rods using cheaper bodies with no opening features on the cars. They had their own unique cards, too. I think this is only the third in my collection.
His last post on October shows the Seattle SuperSonics cards I traded him.

Later in the month I got a PWE from Trading Card Database member wjsenke. He had some cards from my wantlist and he didn't need anything I have to offer, so he just sent them to me. He collects stuff that I don't even ever really see let alone have, but I hope that some day I'll be able to come up with something to send him back as a thank you.
I like getting cards of guys who have last names starting with unusual letters. Vincent Yarbrough certainly hits that target. I believe he has the second most cards of any player with a last name starting with Y after Yao Ming. (In Chinese culture last name comes first)
The Van Gundy card is only my 3rd or 4th of him. One of my favorite moments in NBA history is when the Knicks and Heat got into a fight and he was out on the court clinging to Alonzo Mourning's ankles.
Larry Johnson was involved in that fight, and 1996-97 Fleer is one of my all-time favorite sets. I like how Charles Barkley just stands and watches in the background.
Abdul-Rauf gets me one card closer to my goal of having every base card of the 1995-96 season! For some reason this year of Topps has never come up in repacks as often as the other years of Topps from the mid 1990s. The first card I ever traded for is from this set.
the Danny Manning comes from 2000-01 MVP, a set I thought I had completed but was actually about 10 cards away from. My paper listing shows that I last added a new base card in 2003!

Just this past Saturday, I got another PWE, this time from north of the Border and CrazieJoe from CrazieJoe's Card Corner. One of the more prolific bloggers, Joe has posted more than 300 times in 2016 alone- I think every day, actually. He got a really big lot of cards which he has been going through 20 at a time, every day. I had commented on his blog when he pulled one of those info cards that were put into packs to prevent pack feeling that I wanted it, so he sent me one. But, dumb me, I forgot to include it in the photo! I had set it in a seperate stack of cards for scanning and totally forgot to get it back out for this post. Duh...
He also sent along 4 cards I needed from 1999-00 Fleer Force, a set I loved when it was new, but now, as a scanner, not as much, as it's all mirror foil.
Even in this crappy cell phone photo you can see how shiny they are. I think this is the first time I've ever shown a Dickey Simpkins card on Cardboard History. This guy won three NBA Championships with the Bulls, yet is most well remembered for the Bulls mis-spelling his name as "Smipkens" on his jersey during the dismal 1998-99 campaign. As far as I know there is not a single card that memorializes the funniest typo I'm aware of in NBA jersey history. The worst part is, nobody noticed. A fan in the audience pointed it out! (It just happened again this week- Eric Bledsoe of the Suns started a game with his jersey spelled "Beldsoe" They realized there was a problem and had a new, correct jersey waiting for him at halftime. I think Simpkins wore Smipkens the whole game)

And that's that. October was a fairly light month for me for cards, if it wasn't for the box of Hoops my Mom gave me for my birthday, it actually would have been the second smallest month since I got back into the NBA full time in October 2012; the 288 cards in the box really boosted the numbers. Yes, I'm OCD enough to know, lol. I only got 81 cards in August 2014, that was a rough month as my mom was in the hospital for pretty much the entire month and into September. Even though I maintain a stash of unopened cards I just wasn't interested enough to open any, I guess. Some of my unopened stash predates then, maybe I should work on them a little more...

On a non-card related topic, I know most everyone in the card blogosphere is surely looking forward to game 7 of the World Series tonight. If I was going to be awake I would have gone to my model club meeting, but that's not going to happen. I also really wanted to watch the CMA 50th Anniversary award show. I don't really watch award shows too often, but this year, I probably would have. They released a special music video for it that may just be the greatest music video ever. I think I may be the only blogger who prefers country music and this one video epitomizes everything right with country music...I think it's the first music video I've posted on Cardboard History and I know it doesn't really have anything to do with cards (a few of the artists do appear in my collection, though). But it's good enough that I needed to share it. Seeing some of the retired legends making appearances here is a thrill, too..
I saw it for the first time on Monday and have already watched it about 10 times. Maybe more.

5 comments:

  1. This was an interesting blog...you covered lots of topics. I love how you put the video on here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recall correctly, the Gordon car has some slight small sponsor sticker variations from a similar Gordon car you've documented on your Fotki site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am not sure what it says about me that you knew that and I didn't :)

      That's one of the things I loved about RC, as the cars changed they would update throughout the season.

      Delete
  3. Always glad to find a home for basketball cards as I don't collect them myself. As I mentioned, another small pwe is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will have a happy home here for the forseeable future...forever actually! If I wasn't so scatterbrained I would have some Jays material en route to you already, but I have no idea where it went off to...

      Delete